I also have the rule that I reply to e-mail twice per day, unless I am in a project phase requiring immediate responses.
Email is a necessary evil that isn’t going away, at least not until Paul Graham’s request is fulfilled. In the interim, my advice is to manage email like a boss. Well, like a good boss that’s savvy and effective.
Here are some tips to manage email:
- Use Gmail (yes, especially for business) with the web interface as the primary means and the Microsoft Exchange emulation for IMAP support on the iPhone
- Install the ‘Send and Archive’ button from Gmail Labs so that when you reply to an email it is also removed from the inbox
- Install the ‘Auto-advance’ Gmail Labs option so that whenever you act on an email it automatically takes you to the next email
- Install the ‘Hide Unread Counts’ Gmail Labs option so that you aren’t constantly distracted when new email arrives
- Follow Getting Things Done (GTD) by David Allen and never read the same…
View original post 117 more words